Monday, September 28, 2009

Temporary Home Away from Home


Today was a rough day for little Drew. I didn't get any pictures of him because he has jaundice and had to sleep on a Bili-blanket. The lights were all so low, and he had little patches over his eyes. So I didn't want to disturb him with a camera flash. Not only does he have jaundice, but they believe he may have pneumonia, and they are treating him as such to be conservative. He doesn't have a fever, so they may be catching it early. But his white blood cells are high and they have been unsuccessful on weaning the oxygen, so that's their reasoning. They have been feeding him breast milk through a feeding tube for a day or two, but today they had me try to bottle feed him. He really just wasn't interested. He wouldn't suck at all. So we are continuing tube feeds for now. I kept thinking, "oh no, you are gonna be a bad eater like your brother, aren't you!!"
On a much lighter note, I discovered how difficult it is to change a preemie's diaper while in an isolette. I thought changing a busy two year old's diaper was hard, that's nothing!!! Try changing a preemie size diaper full of meconium, while not draping fifteen wires and tubes in the thick sticky pooh.... all the while doing this through two tiny holes in the side of the isolette. The side of the isolette, not the bottom, where the diaper is. Sheesh, that was hard!! But I got to see his cute little hiney for the first time so it was worth it!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I hear ya! I am praying he gets better and I am so, so, so proud and happy to hear you are nursing him the only way you can right now. Give him time, he'll figure it out and be a pro. I promise! My heart is with you.