Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Feisty

So today was a decent day for little Drew. There was no bad news, so in my eyes, it was a productive day! I got to hold him for an hour, the longest I have ever held him. Towards the end he got a little over tired and his oxygen levels dropped, but for that whole hour he did really well. We started trying to get him to drink out of a bottle. Yesterday, he didn't know what to do with the nipple. Today he took 5 ml, then 6 ml out of the next bottle. We have a ways to go before he can take an ounce, but it's a start. The nurse said the jaundice can make him cloudy and lethargic, so hopefully once that clears he will be more willing to take the bottle. So for now, he is still on antibiotics for another week to ten days, and is still on the Bili-blanket for his jaundice. And the doctor said he is on track to go home in two weeks or so.

One of the nurse the other day actually referred to Drew as feisty!!! All throughout my pregnancy I hoped for a laid back baby. I thought surely I deserved that after taking care of one intense little boy for the last two years. Not that Evan is a bad little boy, but man, is he high maintenance! He has been ever since he was born. Apparently Drew is turning out to be the same way. Very strong willed, feisty and wiggly!! But I am thrilled about this, perhaps it will make him get better and stronger, faster.

To go along with my last few posts, on a lighter note, I am the only normal Mom of a NICU baby at Winnie Palmer. Sitting in the breast pumping room, I met some real crazies today. Perhaps it's the hormones, sleep deprivation or the stress. But geez!! If I get crazy, please someone tell me!!!

1 comment:

EmBee said...

Honey, I've known you for a LONG time and I'm hear to tell ya... You, my dear, were crazy LONG before you entered the NICU.

Ring, Ring, dance anyone?
:-)