Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sleeping with One Eye Open



What a joy it is to have Drew home. So who needs sleep anyway? Do you know how stressful it is to have a baby home that just days ago was on oxygen and would stop breathing in his sleep on a regular basis?!! It's not just Drew that sleeps with one eye open these days. I really couldn't be doing this without the help of my family and friends.

I just want to thank everyone that has helped me over the last month or so. Between my mom, my dad and step-mom and my brother, I have rarely had to be alone over the last four weeks. While on bedrest, my Mom took some of the few days off she has the rest of the year to be here with Evan. She has been down to Orlando 8 out of the last 9 weekends (some because of our Yellowstone trip, but mostly to help with Evan). She has really been there when I needed her, and I appreciate that so much. My dad is currently here helping me watch Evan, and this is his 3rd trip here. He and my step-mom have really bonded with Evan lately, and he always looks forward to their visits. And I can't forget Ugbie, who came all the way from Seattle to spend two and a half weeks here with Evan while I went back and forth to the NICU. I actually think this time was good for me. I am a bit of a control freak, and to be forced to let others care for Evan and be responsible for feeding my little picky eater has been good. I used to stress about every little thing, but because I have been so preoccupied and consumed lately, I have actually become a little more laid back in the process!! Anyway, I really couldn't have done it without you guys, it's so nice to be able to count on family!!!

And as for my friends, oh my goodness!!! I couldn't have better ones. My local friends have been bringing me dinner three nights a week now for three weeks and have plans to continue until December!! I think I would probably be 10 lbs lighter if it wasn't for them, but clearly much more stressed. They have been showering me, Evan and Drew with gifts, not to mention they threw me a baby shower and Evan a birthday party. My friends have also been taking Evan on playdates, picking him up from school and babysitting. Oh, and I almost forgot... they contacted my hairdresser and paid for me to get a complete treatment the next time I go (must have seen how long my roots were!!!) And all my non-local friends have been so supportive with emails, calls and texts too!! It makes me sometimes feel like I don't deserve all of this kindness, but also it makes me want to be a better friend and person to my friends and family.

So to all my friends and family, THANK YOU!!! I couldn't have survived the last few weeks without you. Your generosity and thoughtfulness did not go unnoticed.

Abby
(who now sleeps with one eye always open)

No comments: