Sunday, July 5, 2009

They Don't Teach you This in the Baby Books





















OK, about a month ago we started somewhat of a baby boot camp around here. Evan, although, he hits all of his milestones right on target, prefers to be a baby in most aspects of his life. Seeing as how we will have an actual baby in our home in just four short months, I knew there were some things that needed to change around here.

Step One: Get Evan to walk up and down the stairs by himself. He will do this 100% of the time for Daddy, and about 50% of the time for me. This is a work in progress, but much needed the bigger I get and the closer I get to having to carry TWO babies up and down the stairs simultaneously.

Step Two: Ditch the bottle. We have been bottle-free now for almost 3 weeks. Although about 4 days ago, Evan stopped drinking milk all together. He also refuses yogurt and pieces of cheese. I am now pushing milk in any way, shape and form (hence the big bowl of pudding above!) I can think of, as well as giving him little calcium supplement gummy bear vitamins. Let's pray his growth is not permanently stunted because of his picky little habits.

Step Three: Start feeding himself. Evan doesn't have much motivation to feed himself, as eating is one of his last priorities. So in order to keep his weight from plummeting below the 30th percentile, I have been spoon feeding him since he was 6 months old. Don't get me wrong, he can feed himself just fine when it's crackers, or cheerios, or anything he feels like eating. But today, in order to motivate him, I gave him a big thing of homemade pudding (made with lots of whole milk), and he didn't eat just one serving, but two... by himself. I haven't heard him say "more mama" and "mmmmm" so many times in one sitting. Now, tonight, when it's whatever I cooked for dinner on his tray.... I am sure it will be back to square one. But baby boot camp involves lots of baby steps and patience.
Step Four: I haven't decided yet.... potty training or picking up his toys? Either way, I am SURE I am going to meet some resistance. Wish me luck!!!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Good job, my little buddy, I'm proud of you.